Mardi Gras update: And here we are ...
For many New Orleanians, it's a classic way to bid farewell to Rex and the Mardi Gras season. Imaginary royalty sparkle on our screens as we watch the traditional Meeting of the Courts of Rex and Comus on WYES-Channel 12.
But though we commoners are sprawled on the couch finishing the king cake, the only dash of gold the metallic leggings we still have on (why?) with our pajama tops, we can share the experience together via a new Mardi Gras tradition: live-tweeting the extravaganza. The hashtag is #rexcomus.
Join us on MardiGras.com, NOLA.com or the Twitterverse as the program airs and streams starting a little before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday (Feb. 28). The four-hour telecast will be narrated by the hardy Errol Laborde and Peggy Scott Laborde.
As the gold curtains open, we will unravel the great mystery of Carnival 2017: with historian Dr. Stephen Hales as Rex, who will join Errol and Peggy at the commentators' table?
Until then, some #rexcomus reading you might enjoy:
- Dorothy Mae Taylor and the integration of Mardi Gras krewes
- A Queen of Carnival's dress, deconstructed
- Lynn Watkins taught make-believe monarchs how to scepter
- Queen of Carnival 2017 continues a family tradition
- Don't risk buying the wrong pair of gloves!